Sunday, December 20, 2009

The Most Wonderful Time of The Year!

CHRISTmas! My very favorite Holiday. Spending time with family, eating loads of sweats, and of course The Gifts! All of these things, I look forward to each year. This year, my feelings are the same. I cannot wait to spend time with our families, gain five pounds, and open the amazing gifts. However, my heart boasts with excitement for different reasons as well this season.

For those of you who have grown up "churched" as I like to call it, have heard many times that "Jesus is the reason for the season". Not a year goes by that I don't see Nativity scenes scattered throughout the yards of Lubbock Texas. Several small ones are even scattered throughout my home. I cannot tell you how many times I have heard or read the Christmas story. It all becomes so familiar! JUST another nativity scene, JUST another Sunday sermon about the birth of Jesus, JUST another Christmas with our families, exchanging gifts. With all the hustle and bustle of the Christmas season, I tend to forget what I truly should be celebrating. This year has been no exception. I've been busy decorating, buying gifts, wrapping, and of course the never ending tasks of daily life. My hearts aches at how selfish my flesh can be. I want to make this season all about me. Making sure my house looks festive, making sure I get "My Christmas List" out to the proper people (I.E. My Mom and Mother in Law), making sure I completely spoil my kids with more gifts than they can imagine, and my selfish list goes on.

The Lord has been working on my heart this year. He has begun a work in me that I am not sure I can even explain right now. I read the Christmas story, and feel things that I have never felt before. I have always known the "The reason for the Season", but have never truly embraced the fact that Jesus, My Savior who was sent to earth to die for My sins, was born in a manger. I have heard it a million times, but never truly understood the impact of it all.

I will open gifts with my family this year, and I will probably gain a few pounds from all the treats I will have, but the one thing that I will do my best not to take for granted, is God's gift to me,....His Son.

Matthew 1:21 "She will bear a Son; and you shall call His name Jesus, for He will save His people from their sins."

Matthew 1:23 "BEHOLD, THE VIRGIN SHALL BE WITH CHILD AND SHALL BEAR A SON, AND THEY SHALL CALL HIS NAME IMMANUEL", which translated means "GOD WITH US."

I pray that everyone has a blessed Christmas, and may you all remember, while you gather with family and friends, why you are celebrating in the first place.



Rachel